Deborah R. Trotter
Deborah joined K&W in 2011, focusing primarily on complex litigation, pharmaceutical litigation, False Claims Act litigation, consumer protection litigation, insurance coverage litigation, bad faith litigation, and unfair trade practices litigation. She is best known for her first party property insurance litigation and leadership in the Medicaid and consumer fraud litigation arena.
Prior to her work at K&W, she successfully advocated hundreds of commercial and residential property insurance claims, personal injury claims, product liability claims, and premise liability claims in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas. Deborah has handled numerous complex, multi-million dollar claims, including Hurricane Katrina insurance claims for the Port of New Orleans and the Pearl River County School District; Hurricane Ike insurance claims for the City of Pasadena, Barbers Hill Independent School District, and La Port Independent School District; and Superstorm Sandy insurance claims for the Township of Woodbridge and various high rise condominium associations. Deborah’s practice currently includes Superstorm Sandy commercial property insurance claims in New Jersey on behalf of schools, condominiums, apartment co-operatives and a hospital.
Deborah also represents state and public entities in consumer fraud and unfair trade practices litigation. She represented the State of Louisiana in various pharmaceutical cases regarding violations of Louisiana’s Medical Assistance Programs Integrity Laws, and Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Laws, including State of Louisiana v. GlaxoSmithKline, LLC, et al. and State of Louisiana v. Abbott Laboratories, et al.
Deborah is a member of the State Bars of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas. She is admitted to practice in all Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas State Courts; the United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western District Courts of Louisiana; the United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi; the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas; and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
She is also a member of numerous professional associations and teaches in seminars throughout the United States.
Activities & Honors
- Member, Louisiana Bar Association
- Member, Louisiana Association of Justice
- Member, Mississippi Bar Association
- Member, Mississippi Association of Justice
- Member, Texas Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, American Association of Justice
- Member, Hancock County Bar Association
- Member, Sedona Conference Working Group 1
- Hancock County Chamber Leadership Alumna, 2006
- Gulf Coast Chamber Leadership Alumna, 2009
- Mississippi Non-Profit Center Excellence in Action Alumna, 2011
Publications & Presentations
- Speaker, Wind Only Policies: Depopulation and Re-Privatization, Windstorm Insurance Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana (2015).
- Speaker, Anti-Concurrent Causation: Wind or Flood?, Fifth Annual WIND Regional Symposium, Newark, New Jersey (2014).
- Speaker, Loss Payees, Additional Insureds and Mortgagees: Their Rights and Responsibilities, First Party Claims Conference, Warwick, Rhode Island (2013).
- Speaker, Tenants Improvements and Betterments, Building or Personal Property?, First Party Claims Conference, Providence, Rhode Island (2011).
- Speaker, What is Electronic Data Discovery (EDD) and How Do I Manage Electronic Data?, First Party Claims Conference, Providence, Rhode Island (2010).
- Speaker, E-Discovery Update, Windstorm Conference, Orlando, Florida (2009).
- Speaker, Federal Rule 45 Non-Party Subpoena Production, National Association of Public Insurance Adjusters (NAPIA) Annual Conference, Del Mar, California (2009).
- Speaker and Author, Lagniappe: A Comparison of Laws Affecting Adjustment of Windstorm Claims in Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi, Windstorm Conference, Jacksonville, Florida (2008).
- Speaker and Author, Ethics in Claims Adjusting, Massachusetts Association of Public Insurance Adjusters (MAPIA), Boston, Massachusetts (2008).
- Speaker, Hurricane Katrina Update, Windstorm Conference, Tampa, Florida (2007).